Monday, July 31, 2006

T-Minus Eight Hours and Counting

Well, my friends, there’s only eight hours left for me to collect comics, cards, or anything else that strikes my fancy. After that, it’s cold turkey for me. Thirty days without buying a single collectible. That means no comics, football cards, pieces of art, DVDs, books, or anything else that might jump out at me on any given day. Nothing. Nada.

Before I get started on my cold turkey experiment, let me hear what you have to say. For those of you who actually read this blog, do you think I’ll make it? Or are you a naysayer like most of my friends who doubt my will power? Drop me a line or post a comment and let me know your thoughts…

Although I’m about as positive as you can get that I’ll make it a measly 30 days, I must admit to being a little bummed that DCBS hasn’t updated their site with October’s books yet. I mean, had I been able to squeeze in another pre-order before my experiment starts, it would’ve been smooth sailing from here. As it is, I have to start off the month hoping I can find a way to pre-order later in the month than I generally like to do it.

Of course, August has 31 days, so if all goes right, I’ll be able to pass my little test and still have enough time to place my October order.

Aside from that, I think I’m ready. I’ve put away all my books and comics and catalogs. I figure, out of site, out of mind. Of course, I’m scheduled to get a shipment from DCBS this week, so who knows what that’ll do to my outlook on things. That’s pretty early in this experiment to be getting such a test, but I think I’ll survive.

Honestly, the one thing that has me bothered is the number of incomplete sets I have on my book shelf. I was looking through the collections I have and I realized that I never managed to get the Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 hardcover collection. I’m almost done with volume 1, but will I skip ahead and read volumes 3 and 4, or will I wait out this month of torture in order to read the whole story? Only time will tell.

And you’ll be there every step of the way. Expect regular updates on how I’m doing right here at The Collector’s Mentality. I can’t promise daily posts, but you’ll know about my milestones, and about any difficulties I might be having. But one thing you won’t be hearing is that I’ve thrown in the towel. Nope, I’m in it for the long haul…there will be no quitting.

Can a compulsive collector go cold turkey for 30 days? We’re about to find out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth I think you'll make it, but it depends on what else you have going on in your life.

I have slowly been reducing my regular order of comics for months, and don't really miss them all that much. I am getting the occassional trade or hardcover collection, but my "habit" has gone from well over $600/month to around $30-40 every two or three months. While not completely cold turkey, pretty close.

Just fill in the time you would've spent on Ebay or buying stuff doing other things. If you want brownie points, take the money you would've spent on collectables and buy your partner some flowers, or take her out and do something she enjoys ( I don't know what -- does she like musicals or something? ). For mega-points give her one of those "make-over" packages -- you know the facial, massage, exfoliant, etc. ones? My wife loves 'em!

Take the chance to do something you've never done before -- go skydiving, or water ski-ing or bungy jumping or.....

You'll be surprised how easy it is to give up I think. It just depends on how you fill in your new found "lesuire" time.

Good luck! Can't wait to see how you go. Cheers!

Rich said...

I have faith in you, man...but I'm not sure you'll manage to go the entire month without buying anything - I just think that you'll cave on something.

And then feel bad about it and be okay the rest of the month.

Good luck!