Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Eight Pounds

I have eight pounds of comics heading my way on the slow journey from DCBS to my front door. Should be here Friday, unless DHL decides to not leave it at my door again, which would mean I’d have to wait until Monday to get my comic fix.

While I’m very excited about a few of the books I’ll be reading this weekend (DMZ Vol. 1, Tarzan: The Joe Kubert Years Vol. 3, Sight Unseen), I’m actually more interested in testing the waters and figuring out which monthlies I’m going to drop. My last order topped $110, and the preliminary outlook for next month’s is over $150. That’s just too much. And if I’m not enjoying the superhero crap so much anymore, it’s time to do some cutting.

For example, 52 has got to go. That series just ain’t doing anything for me. Sadly, Warlord is gone, too (I had high hopes for that one). Ultimate Spider-Man is gone after #100 (gotta end on an even number, right?).

What’s really interesting is that I’m thinking about cutting my favorites, too. Y: The Last Man, Daredevil, Captain America. I love these books enough that I’m buying the monthlies and the trades. That’s a waste of money, so maybe I should cut ‘em from my list. But that doesn’t feel right. I mean, doing that would mean I would no longer be collecting my favorite books. Instead, I’d be reading the second tier stuff. There’s just something wrong with that scenario. Who in his right mind reads and collects only those books he considers only okay while his favorites are cut from the list?

So of course, this leads me to the inevitable question: is it time to switch to trades and skip monthlies all together?

It’s not a new question, but maybe it’s time to answer it once and for all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on 52. It's been fairly dull and a letdown over what I was expecting. I think I have 12 issues pre-ordered and stopping now guarantees it'll start getting really good right around that 10-11th issue!

Rich said...

I hate to say it, but I'm with you on 52 too. Either it picks up in the next few weeks or it's gone. Guess I'll give it to #12...

And how can you even consider dropping Daredevil??!?

Madness, I say, madness!

James said...

I'm only thinking of dropping DD because I'll be buying the trades, probably the hardcovers. Same with the Captain.

Anonymous said...

Trades aren't collectible are they? And if you give up monthlies you won't have all those lovely covers!

James said...

Aaron, I hate you.