Thursday, June 29, 2006

Walking on McCloud Nine

Right now I'm what you call a happy son of a bitch. Not only did I get an artist for my Postcards story, not only do I have a 4-day weekend coming up, and not only do I have three signed comics coming my way, but I also got a copy of Scott McCloud's Making Comics in the mail today. This is one book the collector in me holds no sway over. Nope. I'm going to use this book, you can bet on that (well, use it gently, of course, but use it I will).

When I figured out what was in the envelope, I quickly sat down and devoured the first chapter, "Writing with Pictures." It's nothing short of perfect. I mean, McCloud is a comic genius. While Will Eisner certainly did a great job of detailing the ins and outs of sequential art, McCloud just makes it so much...easier. His use of comic panels instead of prose text to explain each idea really hammers home the reasoning behind it all.

This book looks to be the perfect how-to book for comic creators. But screw all this writing about it, I'm going to go read the thing. I'll be back when I'm done...

No comments: