Monday, June 26, 2006

Are You Ready for Some Football?

I’m all giddy with excitement for the start of football season. With two tickets to the Packers/Vikings game in December, why shouldn’t I be?

To get the party started, I picked up this nice Ahman Green jersey card numbered to only 25. Of course, there was very little excitement when I won the auction, less when I got it in the mail, and even less when I put the card in a plastic sleeve and stuffed it away in the closet. Turns out that just like with comics, I’m finding myself less and less interested in any aspect of the football card hobby. So much so that last night I contemplated the best ways to sell off my collection with it being only 76 percent complete.

I wonder if this is normal for other hobbies. I’ve heard many comic, book, and card collectors complain that they get bored from time to time and have to pull back from the hobby for awhile before diving full bore again when they’ve recuperated. But is that the same for hobbies like painting, or woodworking, or scrapbooking?

Because I’ve gotta be honest, I’m getting tired of this ebb and flow crap. Just read my blog from beginning to end and you’ll recognize this isn’t some random notion. It happens way too often for me to actually be able to say I love the hobby. I mean, how can I say that when a quarter of the time I question its worth?

Of course, that won’t stop me from bidding on other cards or comics on my list, which is probably just another part of the problem.

No comments: