Tuesday, June 13, 2006

What’s Next?

I must be tired. For a collector with money just begging to be spent, that’s not a good thing to be. For the last 45 minutes, I’ve been scouring the Internet for things to buy, but I have no focus. I have no idea what to get into next. If I’m not careful, that could spell doom for me and my pocketbook.

Football cards? Eh, it’s the off season. Next!

First edition hardcovers? I already have the next few novels I plan to read, so why bother? Next!

Comics? I’m in a bit of a holding pattern with comics right now, just biding my time for that Princess of Mars series to hit. I’m unable to get motivated to read anything I already own, and making a purchase doesn’t seem to be the right thing either. Next!

Comic art? Yeah, that’s something I can get into. It’s been on the back burner for awhile now, but with Mark Wheatley continually catching my eye with his ERB artwork, it might be time to change that. Plus, being a part of the Postcards creative team I get to see sample art as it comes in, so I’m fighting the urge to interrupt the artists and ask to buy a page or two. (What’s the etiquette on that anyway? Is it impolite to offer to purchase art for a book you’re editing before the book is actually finished? For now I’m resisting, but I might breakdown at any minute.)

But let’s face it, I’ve been down this road, oh, I don’t know, three or four times already this year, and with no more room on the walls and no money or desire to “waste” on professional frames with UV coating, well, it’s hard to get jazzed about something that’ll be sitting in the closet. (That’s an interesting concept coming from someone with boxes of cards, comics, and books hidden away in the dark corner of my closet.)

I don’t know, maybe I’m just burned out on collecting all together. I mean, if I can’t get interested in anything, maybe it’s time for me to hang it up for awhile. Or perhaps collect something new. There is one thing that I’ve always wanted to collect but never managed to find a way to do it successfully: money!

Then again maybe I should take a nap before I start talking all crazy…

No comments: