Thursday, August 03, 2006

Cold Turkey: Day Three

So yesterday I received an 11-pound box of comics. My first instinct wasn’t to tear into one of them and read it. Instead, I looked at the covers and regretted not pre-ordering any monthlies last month. I soaked in the coolness of each cover, knowing in my heart that the next issue, the one I didn’t order, is going to be the best issue ever.

But I’m still standing firm. I haven’t checked eBay and I haven’t even bothered to check out the new prices at DCBS for October’s books. I’ve been tempted, but I’ve fought that demon back. All those books. All those discounts. They taunt and tease me, and I haven’t even gone to the site yet.

Of course, I have to be totally honest and admit that the reason I haven’t searched the net lately is that I’ve been swamped with other stuff. I’m busier then ever at my day job (and I mean that in the worst possible way, believe me), and the last couple of days I’ve been working with Bob Tinnell and company to put the final touches on The Wicked West Vol. II: Abomination. I’m having so much fun editing that book that I haven’t even had time to consider buying anything else.


An odd thing happened to me when I got home today. I got a set of 2006 Score Packers cards in the mail. This is the set I complained about NOT getting just the other day. Turns out I won an auction sometime in July and didn’t even realize I paid for it. I don’t know what that says about me, but it can’t be anything good.

I’m currently debating when to sort these cards and put them in my card binders. If I do it too early, I won’t have anything to look forward to later in the month. But if they’re sitting there on my desk waiting to be put away, they might tempt me to hunt for more. Hmmm, out of sight, out of mind. I’ll hide them for now.

No comments: