Monday, April 24, 2006

T&Alias: The Season Four Scuffle

We interrupt this blog broadcast for this special announcement…

My lovely wife just got home and read my post on limited editions and spines. She laughed and said, “You’re such a goofball.”

Then she looked at the boxes and boxes of collectibles that had spilled out of my closet and into the office. “We need to sell all this stuff,” she said. “Just garage sale it. One hundred bucks for it all.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Sure, I had considered selling my entire comic collection just earlier in the day. It was something I had really put some thought into lately. But hearing it from her, well, I just wasn’t having it.

So I switched the subject.

“Are we ever going to finish watching Alias?” I asked, reminding her that the fourth season of our favorite show at now out on DVD and that season five would be its finale. “We can rent them if you want.”

“We don’t have to buy them?” she asked, interested now that money wasn’t involved.

“No. Actually, I was thinking of selling the first three seasons on Ebay.”

“Oooh, yeah,” she said, the idea of a little less clutter probably taking up more space in her brief fantasy than the additional money in our pocket. “You can buy the fourth one with the money you made selling the others.”

I stared at her dumbfounded. “What? Are you crazy?”

“Why not? It’d be like getting it for free,” she said, as if money had anything to do with my utter confusion at what she had just said.

For the second time in less than three minutes I couldn’t believe my ears. My wife was suggesting that I sell off my three-piece collection in order to get the fourth. Did she not see that by doing so I’d suddenly have an incomplete set? That we’d have one of four DVD sets of our favorite TV show? That’s blasphemy.

“I don’t even know what to say to you right now,” I said, only partially joking as she left to change after her hard day at work. It wasn’t long before I was downstairs rearranging the DVD case so the Alias sets were displayed more prominently. They looked fabulous as a set, and the fourth would make them look even better, particularly since I knew I could come home any day and start watching any season, start to finish, because I had them all at my disposal.

Yeah, who’s the goofball now, huh?

No comments: