Thursday, June 01, 2006

Guess Who’s Back

I’m at the comic shop, pretty much just going through the motions. I don’t want to be there, and the comics I’m buying don’t thrill me in the slightest. I still hunt for the best copy of each, but even that doesn’t get my heart racing like it usually does. Sure, Previews always brings me a great deal of excitement, but for reasons I’ve already explained, I’m not even enthused about that. Behind the counter, Aaron tries to talk me into a number of series, but I decline to even talk about the books he’s telling me about. I’m just not interested.

At home I start flipping through Previews. Eh. There are some cool looking books with covers that make me want to buy buy buy, but that feeling is so muted I turn the page without much more than a cursory glance. Apparently you see one great cover, you’ve seen ‘em all. And if Previews doesn’t get me excited, nothing will. So I’m about to put down the catalog before I even get through the comics section when my eye catches two words: Mars and Burroughs.

Oh shit! What’s this? My eyes bulge out of my head like someone hit me on the back of the skull with a mallet. There on the page, staring me in the face as if it were a gift from the comic gods, is the solicitation for Edgar Rice Burroughs’ A Princess of Mars #1 from IDW. I have to re-read the solicitation three times because I’m so excited that I can’t focus on the words.

And not only are my favorite characters coming back to comics, but my favorite artist, Frank Cho, is providing a variant cover. This makes for one very happy and excited collector.

Edgar Rice Burroughs. Mars. Cho. Variant covers. If that can’t bring a collector out of a slump, nothing can.


Just found out the Cho variants for the first three issues will be limited to 1-in-30, so they won't come cheap. But that's a good thing. I'm salivating already.








Mark Wheatley will also be supplying some variant covers. How long 'til I have 'em all?



No comments: