Monday, May 01, 2006

I’ll Take "Haircuts vs. Comics" for $100, Alex

Stephanie and I were relaxing on the couch Sunday night watching a pretty boring film. It didn’t really keep our attention for long and we started having little snippets of conversation to drown out the dialog on screen. Naturally, our conversation eventually switched to my recent comic book purchase. It didn’t stay there for long, though.

”You spent $300 on comics you can’t even read? That doesn’t make any sense,” she said, feigning renewed interest in the film. I just gave a half-hearted laugh, trying to avoid the touchy subject.

Of course, the collector in me had to have his say. “Yeah, but they’re really nice copies. Almost perfect,” I said.

She turned to me and said, “I can’t talk to you about this anymore.” She’s been saying that a lot lately. At least she was more confused than upset (I hope).

A few moments later the characters in the film were talking about getting their hair done at an expensive salon. I turned to Stephanie and asked, “When was the last time you paid $100 for a hair cut?”

She stared at the ceiling, trying to pull the date out of her mind’s filing cabinet. I made it easier on her and asked an easier question. “Have you ever paid more than $100 for a hair cut?”

“You mean cut and color?”

It was my turn to roll my eyes and turn away confused. I began to wonder if now would be a bad time to tell her I just won a gorgeous copy of John Carter, Warlord of Mars #18 for $80. I decided against it, figuring that the fact it was Frank Miller’s first Marvel work probably wouldn’t help my cause much.

No comments: